If you are a frequent traveler, you may have encountered some challenges with the internet connectivity and data security in different places. A travel router is a device that can help you overcome these issues and make your online experience more convenient and safe. In this blog post, we will explain what a travel router is, how to use it, and what are the advantages of having one.
A travel router is a small, portable device that can create a wireless network from any wired or wireless internet source. It allows you to connect multiple devices, such as laptops, smartphones, tablets, or smart TVs, to the same network and share the internet access. A travel router can also act as a firewall and protect your devices from hackers and malware.
One of the benefits of having a travel router is that you can avoid paying extra fees for using multiple devices on hotel or airport Wi-Fi networks. You can also bypass geo-restrictions and access content that is blocked in some countries, such as Netflix or YouTube. A travel router can also improve the speed and stability of your internet connection, especially if the original source is slow or unreliable.
Another advantage of having a travel router is that some models have an additional function of media storage. This means that you can store your photos, videos, music, or documents on the travel router and access them from any device connected to the network. You can also stream media files to your smart TV or speakers without using the internet bandwidth. This feature is very useful if you want to backup your data or enjoy your media offline.
A travel router is a must-have gadget for anyone who values convenience, security, and entertainment while traveling. It can enhance your online experience and make your trip more enjoyable. If you are interested in buying a travel router, you can check out some of the best models available on below reviews.
1. TP-Link AC750 Wireless Portable Nano Travel Router(TL-WR902AC)
The TP-Link AC750 Wireless Travel Router (TL-WR902AC) is device is designed to create a private Wi-Fi network from any internet connection, whether it is an Ethernet port, a 3G/4G USB modem, or a public Wi-Fi hotspot. It can also extend your existing Wi-Fi network at home or work, or act as a wireless access point or client for your wired devices.
The TL-WR902AC supports dual-band AC750 Wi-Fi, which means it can deliver up to 433 Mbps on the 5 GHz band and up to 300 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band. This allows you to enjoy fast and reliable Wi-Fi for streaming, gaming, browsing, and more on multiple devices. It also works with popular devices such as Chromecast and Amazon Fire TV Stick.
The TL-WR902AC is incredibly compact and lightweight, making it easy to carry around in your pocket, purse, or bag. It comes with a micro-USB port that can be used to power the device from an external adapter or a USB port. You can also use the USB port to share files from a USB storage drive or charge your smartphone or tablet with up to 5V/1A of power.
The TL-WR902AC is easy to set up and use, thanks to its simple design and intuitive web interface. You can switch between different modes using a physical switch on the device, and configure the settings using a web browser or the TP-Link Tether app on your smartphone. The device also has a reset button and LED indicators for status and troubleshooting.
Some of the advantages of the TL-WR902AC are:
- It offers a secure and private Wi-Fi network wherever you go, protecting you from potential hackers and snoopers on public networks.
- It supports multiple modes for different scenarios, giving you more flexibility and functionality.
- It has a fast and stable dual-band AC750 Wi-Fi connection, compatible with most devices and applications.
- It has a multifunctional USB port for file sharing and charging.
- It has a small and durable design, ideal for traveling.
Some of the disadvantages of the TL-WR902AC are:
- It has a limited range compared to larger routers, so it may not cover a large area or penetrate thick walls.
- It comes with short cables for power and Ethernet, which may not be convenient for some situations.
- It does not have advanced features such as parental controls, guest network, VPN server, or firewall.
Overall, the TL-WR902AC is a great choice for travelers who need a portable and versatile wireless router that can create a private Wi-Fi network from any internet connection. It is also useful for home or office users who want to extend their existing Wi-Fi network or connect their wired devices wirelessly. It offers fast and reliable dual-band AC750 Wi-Fi, easy setup and operation, and a multifunctional USB port. However, it may not be suitable for users who need a long-range coverage, longer cables, or more advanced features.
2. Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot Ethernet Router
The netgear nighthawk mr1100 mobile hotspot 4g LTE router device is the world's first Gigabit class LTE mobile router, delivering ultra-fast download speeds of up to 1 Gbps and support for Category 16 LTE Advanced Pro with 4-band carrier aggregation. It can connect up to 20 devices on the go, stream media from a USB or external hard drive, and offload to WiFi or Ethernet to save data and relieve network congestion. It also has a rechargeable battery that can last for all-day use, and a large intuitive LCD screen that lets you monitor data usage and change settings easily.
The netgear nighthawk mr1100 mobile hotspot 4g LTE router has the following specifications:
- Dimensions: 105.5 x 105.5 x 20.35 mm
- Weight: 240 g
- Battery: 5040 mAh Li-ion battery (removable)
- SIM card type: Micro SIM (3FF)
- Network technology: LTE Cat 16, 4-band CA and 4x4 MIMO; Up to 4X Carrier Aggregation
- WiFi technology: Dual-band WiFi (2.4GHz/5GHz) 802.11 b/g/n/ac; Multiple SSID/Guest WiFi support; WiFi Protected Setup (WPS)
- Ethernet port: One RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet port
- USB port: One USB Type-A port
- Memory card slot: One microSD card slot (supports up to 256 GB)
- Display: 2.4" LCD panel
- Security features: Password protected WiFi; VPN pass-through; NAT firewall; MAC address filtering
The netgear nighthawk mr1100 mobile hotspot 4g LTE router has many advantages over other mobile hotspot devices, such as:
- It offers the best internet connection possible with Gigabit LTE speeds and support for advanced network technologies.
- It can provide reliable and secure WiFi for up to 20 devices simultaneously, making it ideal for home, travel or business use.
- It can stream media from a USB or external hard drive to all your connected devices, allowing you to enjoy your favorite content anywhere.
- It can offload to WiFi or Ethernet when available, saving your data and improving your network performance.
- It has a long-lasting battery that can be swapped with a second battery (sold separately) or charged with the AC adapter.
- It has a user-friendly LCD screen that shows important information such as signal strength, data usage, battery life and more.
- It has smart parental controls that let you protect or guard access to online content when family is online.
The netgear nighthawk mr1100 mobile hotspot 4g LTE router also has some disadvantages that you should be aware of, such as:
- It is relatively expensive compared to other mobile hotspot devices.
- It may not be compatible with some network providers or regions. You should check with your cellular provider before purchasing.
- It may not support some features or functions depending on your network settings or plan. You should contact your cellular provider for more details.
- It may consume more data than other mobile hotspot devices due to its high-speed capabilities. You should monitor your data usage and choose a suitable plan accordingly.
3. GL.iNet GL-E750 (MUDI) 4G LTE OpenWrt VPN Router
If you are looking for a portable and powerful 4G LTE router that supports OpenWrt and VPN, you might want to check out the GL.iNet GL-E750 (MUDI) device.
The GL.iNet GL-E750 (MUDI) is a 4G LTE router that can create a secure Wi-Fi hotspot for up to 10 devices. It has a built-in OpenWrt system that allows you to customize the router settings and install various applications. It also supports VPN protocols such as WireGuard, OpenVPN, and Tor, which can encrypt your online traffic and protect your privacy. The router has a 128GB MicroSD card slot, a USB 3.0 port, and a SIM card slot. It has a 7000mAh battery that can last up to 20 hours of continuous use. It also has a 1.3-inch OLED display that shows the network status, battery level, and other information.
- CPU: Qualcomm QCA9531, 650MHz
- Memory/Storage: DDR2 128MB/16MB NOR FLASH + 128GB MicroSD card
- Interface: 1 WAN (100Mbps), 1 LAN (100Mbps), 1 USB 3.0, 1 MicroSD card slot, 1 SIM card slot
- Antenna: Internal 4G main antenna + diversity antenna + Wi-Fi antenna
- Display: 1.3-inch OLED
- Power Input: 5V/2A
- Power Consumption: <6W
- Battery Capacity: 7000mAh
- Dimensions: 105 x 72 x 27mm
- Weight: 240g
- The router supports multiple 4G LTE bands and can work with most carriers around the world.
- The router has a high-speed Wi-Fi connection that can reach up to 433Mbps on the 5GHz band and up to 300Mbps on the 2.4GHz band.
- The router has a user-friendly web interface that allows you to easily configure the network settings and VPN options.
- The router supports OpenWrt, which gives you more flexibility and control over the router features and functions.
- The router has a large battery capacity that can provide long-lasting power for your devices.
- The router has a compact and portable design that makes it easy to carry around.
- The router is relatively expensive compared to other similar products on the market.
- The router may not be compatible with some VPN services or applications that require special settings or ports.
- The router may have limited coverage or signal strength in some areas or regions.
- The router may have some stability or performance issues when running multiple applications or processes at the same time.